Monday, August 1, 2016

Kale & Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette

Moving back to the small town I grew up in, we strive on local food, local activities, and local restaurants.  My family took me to The Blue Spoon Cafe in Bluefield, WV; where family friends own the cafe and cook all the food there.   Not just mom and dad, but everyone raves about this thing called a kale and quinoa salad.  I didn't know what the crap they were talking about, nor did I really trust the word "kale" and it actually being something edible, but I ordered it because, well, my family knows my taste buds better than I do half the time.

Needless to say, I fell in love with it!  I wanted to figure out my own type of recipe and make a twist with the dressing.  So, I went to good 'ol Pinterest and found a recipe from JoCooks

I changed up my ingredients just a little, and sweetened up the dressing, as well.  And if you're questioning if this is something for you, I highly recommend it!  Especially if you're curious about kale, start with something like this recipe!  Lastly, if you're ever in this small little town, you have to find The Blue Spoon and go to it!  I promise, you will not regret it!
Recipe by: Just a little Grace
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 15 Minutes
Total time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 4-5

What You'll Need:
  • 1/2 cup Dry Quinoa
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Garlic (optional)
  • pinch Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 5 cups Kale (chop into bite size pieces)
  • 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds (I use unsalted)
  • 1/4 cup Golden Raisins
  • 1/4 cup Grapes (optional, but delicious)
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
For Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil
  • 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice (About 2 lemons)
  • 1 tsp Minced Garlic
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper
  • 1 tsp Oregano (Dried)
  • 1/4 cup Honey (Some people might not like it as honey as I do, if you don't add more lemon, or less honey.  You do you, boo).

Prep:
  1. You will first want to cook your quinoa. Add the 1/2 cup of quinoa and 1 cup of water into a pot/saucepan, over medium heat bring to a boil. After it has started boiling, cover and reduce your heat to low, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes; or until all liquid is completely gone from pot/saucepan and your quinoa is tender. *If you end up with additional water in the pot, drain it.
  2. After your quinoa is fully cooked, prepare your salad. Simply combine your kale, raisins, grapes (optional), sunflower seeds, quinoa, and salt & pepper.
For Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette
  1.  In a small bowl, add all ingredients from the Lemon-Honey Vinaigrette and whisk together. If you like more of a honey taste rather than a lemon taste, simply add more honey until it meets your perfect taste.
  2.  Pour this delicious dressing over the salad and toss. After you've tossed the salad and got the dressing everywhere add your Parmesan cheese and ENJOY!

I hope you enjoyed this post, and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!  Again, please subscribe and comment below! 

As always, it's just a little Grace


No comments:

Post a Comment